Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I take the plunge.... February 2006

After five months of working feverishly online to match up people with people, pets with pets, supplies with rescuers and having information overload, I decided to take the plunge and get my derriere down to the heart of it all.

After money was saved up, my time-off request was pushed through work (Oh, and soon after I was without a job.  Yes, that's right. LAID OFF!!!  But, I digress.), daycare was lined up and the husband was ready for me to go... So, I went.  I was very involved with Animal Rescue New Orleans (ARNO) and Best Friends Animal Society along with Stealth Volunteers.  I was originally supposed to be meeting up with ARNO, but the plans fell through due to not having a stationery place to meet.  Sadly, things had been changing with many rescue groups out there being forced to leave, having to pull out, dramas, etc., etc.

I was able to, however, find out where Best Friends had their center (Celebration Station in Metairie) and was headed there.  I didn't know anyone at the time and was really stepping WAY out of my box and taking a chance.  The farthest I'd travelled on my own was to Europe at fifteen to play soccer, but I was with thirty kids and five adults.  It didn't seem as daunting as this for some reason.  No fear, being younger, all that.

I ended up finding a nice little bungalow to stay for three nights.  That was all I could afford.  After that, I wasn't too sure where I was going to go.  I found the place through HistoricRentals.com and it was situated in the French Quarter.  I knew the Quarter already as I'd been to NOLA a couple times before, but not alone!!!  I stayed in their Courtyard Suite.  It was a little attached, bungalow with a tiny kitchen, tiny living area, tiny TV, tiny room, and tiny shower!  It was perfect for just me.  Later I learned that volunteers were able to stay at the Best Friends center for free including a place to put a tent/sleeping bag and meals were provided.  THAT sounded like it would work for me!

I rented a car.  I rented a FUN car.  I rented a dark, smoke colored two-door Mustang car!  That thing was fun to drive with a great stereo, GPS and lots of power. 

After my long day of volunteering, rescuing, feeding, watering, and computer work I would drive back to my little bungalow and park the car in a lot two blocks away.  For some odd reason I just felt safe.  Even when I'd walk by the seedy, smelly bar way off the likes of Bourbon Street, I felt comfortable.  People said hello and I'd hello back.  Everyone was afraid of me going by myself, but I just had to prove them wrong that I'd be okay... and I was.

I enjoyed my short stay in the French Quarter.  I was a little bummed that I couldn't walk around during the day, but just before I left the Quarter (Qwoahtah) I was able to get in some Cafe du Monde coffee and beignets.  I wasn't going ANYWHERE until I did that!  I walked around the French Market right there as well. 

I just love the energy, the ambiance and the culture of New Orleans.  I will forever be tied there, maybe not by birth, but at least from my family's birth. 

First Journal Entry:

02/07/06 -- Leaving Orange County into the Houston Airport layover went great.  Flying into New Orleans was a different story.  On a flight completely booked, it was crowded and tight!  The pilot seemed to have a major problem trying to land the plane and did a total jig down the runway.  Oy!  I got my car fine and found the little bungalow just fine as well.  Nope, didn't get lost once.

The place I'm staying in is at 1017 Orleans Street in the French Quarter.  The house was built in the 1870s and is called a Double Shotgun style.  I'm staying in one of the small apartments in the back. There's a little courtyard between the two buildings with a little pond and fountain in the middle.  Damn, but it's quiet!  I can hear the train eerily going right now in the distance.  It's 5:00 PM and I'm about to head out to get some dinner and then attempt to find the shelter.

Well, THAT didn't work out so well!  After driving around for what seemed like forever, I finally had to turn back since it was getting dark.  I did get lost in some neighborhoods that were pretty badly hit by the hurricane.  Lots of homes are boarded up and lots of debris is out by the curbs.  I guess that's a good sign that people are around and rebuilding.  When I came back I ended up just walking to an open bar and was pointed in the direction of Bourbon Street.  I ended up with a turkey Po' Boy, chips and a much needed Diet Coke!

Back in the bungalow trying to map out my journey again early in the morning.  Thank God there's a TV and cable here.  Very quiet by myself!  Flipping the channels I see one channel that just keeps showing different pictures after the hurricane of all the different Parishes.  So many are being shown.  I worked with Stealth Volunteers for finding people and pets.

No comments: